Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

fear of decisions syndrome

I've come to realize I get asked for a lot of advice.

It's quite an honor that people look to me for suggestions on how to handle things.

If they had any idea how many times I've made mistakes would they still want my advice?

I've come to the conclusion that most people suffer from "fear of decision" syndrome and in a panic they decide any advice is better than trusting my own judgment. But why are people so afraid to be wrong?

The average person gets so stressed out about making the wrong decision it paralyzes them from making any decision at all. Why do we fear making mistakes? Is it peer pressure or family pressure?

If mistakes are looked at as a necessary ingredient for success we should welcome mistakes with open arms.


It takes less courage to push through fear (whether right or wrong) than to live with the ongoing fear of making the wrong decision.

The sooner you decide, the sooner you can learn the lesson if you're wrong or move on to the next step if you're right.


Take calculated risks and trust your own judgment, because it's your judgment you have to live with, so the sooner you start trusting yourself the sooner you'll be on your way to making good decisions.


Looking back on it -- "experience" came from trusting myself and using my best judgment which does not always equal making the right decisions.

"Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do." Benjamin
Spock

No comments:

Post a Comment